- 1/2 pound ground bison
- 1 large onion , finely chopped
- 1 large carrot , finely chopped
- 1/2 head cauliflower , stemmed and cut into small florets (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium green bell pepper , finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added chili powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1 can no-salt-added kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves , chopped
Heat a large Dutch oven or pot over high heat. When the pot is very hot, add bison and brown it, stirring often for 5 minutes. Add onion and carrot, and cook, until both begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water to deglaze the pan, scraping brown bits from the bottom of the pan as the water evaporates.
Add cauliflower, bell pepper and garlic and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, chili powder, vinegar, tomatoes and beans along with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are fork tender, about 45 minutes.
Serve garnished with chopped cilantro.
Per Serving: Serving size: , 250 calories (25 from fat), 2.5g total fat, 0gsaturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 36g carbohydrates, (13 gdietary fiber, .12g sugar), 24g protein.